Sergio and Sofia Your Islington Pet Sitters
Hi, we are Sergio and Sofia and would love to look after your pet.
We have been pet sitters and dog walkers now for three years and have experience of a wide range of animals.
Please contact us for a free consultation.
Some more information about Islington:
Originally Islington was a sprawling village that built up beside the Great North Road (A1). Some of the roads were known as streets supporting a Roman origin. Islington was called by the Saxons Giseldone (1005), after the personal name Gisla and dun for a down or hill. This evolved to Isledon and then in the 17th century to Islington.
Here is an excerpt by Philip Yorke Esq (1799)from The Royal Tribes of Wales:
"Islington may have played its own small part in the destruction and conquest by England of North Wales. In December 1277, the last native prince of Wales, Llywelyn the Last, while staying in Islington in preparation of his ritual act of homage to the English king, was so heinously offended by the display put on by the locals that he and his lords resolved never to return and thenceforth to fight England to the death."
Islington in medieval times was one of many small manors in the area including Bernersbury, Neweton Berewe or Hey-bury and Canonesbury (Barnsbury, Highbury and Canonbury).
Please email me or phone (see above). Alternatively use this contact form.
Please send me the:
Full Post Code
How could we improve our service? "We've not been with you very long but so far all seems fine and Millie the dog is happy.
Credit Card Payment
Enter the amount into the "unit price" and follow the instructions. Please contact us if you have any questions.
It was in the 14th century that the Great North Road from Aldersgate came into use, connecting with a new turnpike (toll road) up Highgate Hill via the route of Upper Street with a toll gate at The Angel. There was the Back Road (modern Liverpool Road), a drover's road on the way to Smithfield market with many pens and sheds along this road to house the animals.
Islington in the medieval times was a strange mixed area, with many wealthy moated manor houses that also attracted the undesirables who stayed in the local inns. The area developed due to its proximity to the city of London and the Great North Road.
In 1982 the Royal Agricultural Hall was built. This, with its 25 meter high hall and arched glass roof of 40 meters, became the principal exhibition site in London, holding up to 50,000 people and being the home to annual Smithfield Show, recitals and the Royal Tournament. During World War II, it was used as a major sorting office and the main hall was incorporated into the Business Design Centre.
One of Islington's claims to fame and usefulness to London was a source of water to the capital from its hill. The first supplies were by wooden pipes from the many springs in Finsbury, including Sadler's Well, Clerkenwell and London Spa.
But by the 17th century these were insufficient, so a project was drawn up to bring fresh water from the Hertfordshire River Lee to New River Head in Finsbury. The river was built by Sir Hugh Myddleton and opened in 1613. You can see his statue where Upper Street meets Essex Road. The river course can be seen to the east of Upper Street as its course is now covered by a linear park.
The availability of water developed a market gardening area for the supply of vegetables to London. Whilst rural in nature, it became popular with travellers and visitors. With over 50 ale houses, many activities such as archery, music, dancing and, in the 18th century, even balloon ascents, many people visited Islington.
The economy of Islington was helped by the Regents Canal that was built in 1820. However, a lot of it runs through a 900m tunnel, which can be followed by pavement plaques on the surface. Because there was no tow path, the boats had to be walked through the tunnel. Partly due to this, much warehousing and industry built up around the large City Road Basin and Wenlock Basin, though it is now mainly residential or small business. It also includes an old canal pub on the tow-path.
The music halls and theatres established themselves around Islington Green.
Many had chequered histories such as Collins' Music Hall, which was built on the site of the Landsdowne Tavern, where the landlord had built an entertainment room for customers who wanted to sing. It was built in 1862 by Samuel Thomas Collins Vagg and, by 1867, had become a 1,800 seat theatre with 10 bars. Many famous performers who paled there include Marie Lloyd, Harry Lauder, George Formby, Tommy Trinder, Gracie Fields, Tommy Handley and Norman Wisdom.
The major growth of Islington took place in 19th century. In 1801, the population was ten thousand and, by 1891, there were over three hundred thousand. This expansion was partly due to better transportation, including the 1830 introduction of horse-drawn omnibuses. Originally the area attracted clerks and artisans, but professionals were drawn to the district with its large well-built houses and fashionable squares. However, the second half of the 19th century saw the poor being displaced from inner London and relocating to Islington. So the area became less popular and moved into long term decline and urban poverty until the 1960s. Many council buildings were built on the site where over three thousand homes were destroyed in the bombing of the Second World War. Although some of the worst terrace housing was cleared, the borough remained one of the most densely populated areas of London.
However, the 1960s saw the Georgian terraces being re-loved by middle class families and the area becoming fashionable. This included many politicians, including Tony Blair, moving to the area and the Guardian even said "Islington is widely regarded as the spiritual home of Britain's left-wing intelligentsia". The famous restaurant meeting where Gordon Brown agreed to support Tony for leader of the Labour party took place in a restaurant in Upper Street in Islington, but like the agreement "the Granita Pact", it did not last long.
The continuing improvement of the area was helped by the completion of the Victoria line. So now many new developments such as Angel tube station and many apartment blocks have combined with a thriving bar, restaurant and night life.
Whilst Angel is the third cheapest property on the Monopoly board, this does not reflect today's reality for property prices, as this a very desirable area.
Islington is often mentioned in many films, radio and books. This includes Hotblack Desiato, a famous Islington estate agent, who was named by the local resident Douglas Adams who penned "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", as well as the Book by Nick Hornby - "About a Boy" and film starring Hugh Grant.
Due to its popularity and nearness to the centre of London, many famous characters have lived here. As well as Tony Blair, there are other politicians including Boris Johnstone. The most famous is perhaps Lenin who lived in Islington in the early 1900s. Maybe that is why the area was so popular with the New labour.
The music hall tradition continued with famous musical artists including Leona Lewis, Lily Allen, Gary and Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet, Alexandra Burke, Cat Stevens, Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones Drummer).
Continuing with the artistic route, many presenters, actors and actresses lived in Islington such as Angus Deayton, Hugh Laurie, Su Pollard, Martin Shaw Jimmie Carr, Sir Kenneth Williams, Kate Winslet and Emma Watson.
William Hogarth, the great painter, was born here in 1697.
The Astronomer Royal and discoverer of Halley's Comet, Edmund Halley, lived in Islington
Famous Islington writers have included Charles Lamb, George Orwell, Sir Walter Raleigh (who did a lot of other things as well!)and Salmon Rushdie.
When dog walking in Islington, there are many historic and listed buildings.
St Paul's Church on Essex Road is Grade II* listed and was built by Sir Charles Barry in 1826 before he built the Houses of Parliament. There are two other Grade II* listed buildings and one is 3 Terrett's Place, which is a great example of an 18th century house on Upper Street and the Union Chapel.
The Union Chapel was designed and built by James Cubitt between 1874-77 and is a great example of Victorian gothic architecture. It is also a music venue for up to 800 and was voted "Live Venue of the Year 2002".
Apart from this, many houses and whole terraces are listed grade II. But other notable buildings include the Business Design Centre which was formerly the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington Town Hall and the Almeida Theatre.
There are a number of listed pubs, including the Camden Head on Camden Passage, the Hope and Anchor on Upper Street, the Old Queen's Head on Essex Road and the York.
We also do pet sitting and cat walking outside of Islington, including Stoke Newington, Hackney, Dalston, Holborn, Shoreditch and surrounding areas of North East London. If in doubt contact us!