Cat information is often based on either the breed or type of cat. They have specific characteristics that differentiate them from the moggy. A special pedigree, for example, is the Persian or domestic long hair or short haired cats.
One categorisation is by size, with the Main Coon being the largest domestic cat whilst the two smallest fully grown cats are the Singapura and Teacup Persian at about 5lbs. Verismo Leonetti Reserve Red, know as Leo, a real lion of a cat, a Main coon was 48 inches tall from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail and weighed 35 pounds when he won the Guiness Book of records for Longest Cat. Main Coons can weigh more than this, but this is not a record anyone would be proud of.
The various cat body types
There is no official definition, but this gives a feel for the six varieties I see in cat body types.
• Oriental: slender / skinny. Long triangular head, with a lean and long body, long legs and tail. Examples include the Balinese, Siamese, Oriental shorthair and longhair.
• Foreign: athletic with long legs and a long tapered tail. The head is wedge shaped with large ears. The eyes are almond or oval shaped. Examples are the Abyssinian, Japanese Bobtails, Russian Blue, Nebelung and Turkish Angora.
• Semi-foreign: slightly more thick set / beefed up versions of the Foreign breeds, very mush an average cat type. Examples include American Curls, Devon Rex, Egyptian Mau, Havana Brown and Tonkinese
• Semi-Cobby: Stocky / well rounded cats. American Shorthair, American Wirehair, Bombay, British Shorthair, Chartreux and Korat.
• Cobby: Short and compact body with broad shoulders. A round head and a relatively short tail. Examples include the Manx and Persian.
• Substantial: Large cats that are not short and rounded. The classic is the Main Coon, who may have developed, depending on the story, from a Norwegian Forest Cat. Other examples include the Birman, Pixiebob, Ragdoll and Siberian.
Cat Breed List
The following is a list of 83 cat breeds. There is not a definitive cat breed list as every country has different rules and definitions. I have included any breed that I have come across. Every country’s Fancy Cat Society will have a list with the detailed breed descriptions that apply and are recognised. To add to the confusion, the same breed may be called something different in another country.
If you know of any more breeds please let me know. I am adding back up summaries for each breed, so if you have any expertise / photos / information on specific breeds please let me know and I will add them to the individual breed pages, with a link back to your website, if required.
California Spangled Cat
Japanese Long-Nippled Singing Cat
Norwegian Forest Cat
Russian White, Black and Tabby
York Chocolate Cat